MEDIA RELEASE: Municipality implements interventions to extend available water supply
16 March 2018
Saldanha Bay Municipality has reached substantial savings on the water demand from the Western Cape Water Supply System (WCWSS) through ongoing demand management initiatives and the commissioning of the existing Langebaan Road Aquifer boreholes. But even with the reduced current demand, the available water sources is inadequate to last until the winter rainfall or the commissioning of alternate water sources.
The WCWSS is under severe stress and further intervention is thus of utmost importance to reduce the demand and to prolong the available capacity of water within the water sources. Additional savings will have to be achieved to ensure that a basic level of water services can be provided to residents of the Saldanha Bay Municipal area.
The Municipality identified specific interventions, which will assist in lowering the water demand and extending the available water supply to the Saldanha Bay Municipal area. Council approved the following recommendations at a Special Council Meeting held in Vredenburg on 15 March 2018:
- The installation of 6kl/month water restrictors at all indigent households.
- Restriction of all formal and informal car washes to only non-potable water.
- All water shops are only allowed to sell water sourced from outside the Saldanha Bay Municipal area of jurisdiction. No potable water from Saldanha Bay Municipality may be used.
- All events must prove that they are water neutral and must submit a water plan to the Municipality before any approval to host the event will be considered.
- All municipal resorts occupancy be limited to 50% compared to the same month of the previous year.
- That in addition to Level 6B water restrictions, all residential properties be restricted to a maximum consumption of 200 litres per day or 6kl per month based on the occupancy of 4 individuals. If households have more than 4 occupants, a formal Level 6B exemption application must be submitted with a sworn affidavit and copies of identity cards of occupants for consideration.
- The following penalties will be implemented with effect from the services accounts rendered to consumers during April 2018 for payment 15 May 2018, should the restrictions contained above not be adhered to:
- First transgression after warning: R1000 fine
- Second transgression after a warning: R2000 fine
- After the third transgression, the installation of 6kl/month water restrictors to control water consumption.
- All construction projects including the building of houses may only be conducted with non-potable water.
- Preference will be given to industry, bulk construction and building projects for the use of effluent water.
Saldanha Bay Municipality is aware of recent reports relating to the alleged termination of water releases into the municipal area by the National Department of Water and Sanitation. Please be advised that no decision has been taken in this regard.
Residents and businesses are encouraged to register onto the Municipal SMS database to receive messages related to water restrictions in the municipal area. To register onto the SMS database, forward your cellphone number with your residential address to firstname.lastname@example.org.