Tips for Safer Driving During Winter
Winter driving can be hazardous and scary. Taking additional preparations can help make a trip safer, or help motorists deal with an emergency. It is important that we change our behaviour on the road during this season and thus improve your own safety as well as that of other road users. Remember the three P’s for safer driving during winter:
PREPARE for the trip; PROTECT yourself; and PREVENT crashes on the road.
- Ensure that your fire extinguisher and triangle are in good condition, in the case of an emergency.
- All loose equipment at the back of vehicles should be securely fastened.
- Always keep an eye out for the behaviour of other drivers on the road.
- Ensure that your brakes are in working order, your vehicle serviced and tyres are in a good condition.
- In rainy/misty conditions, drive with your headlights switched on.
- Stopping distances are longer on water-covered roads and ice, so slow down and keep a good following distance. It will take longer to get there, but you will reach your destination safely.
- Always buckle up and ensure that your passengers fasten their seatbelts.
- Do not drive intoxicated or while using certain medication.
- Slow down and increase a safe following distance between cars. Exercise added patience.
- Keep your eyes open for stationary vehicles, accidents and pedestrians.
- Avoid fatigue and get plenty of rest for longer planned trips.
Driving Licence and Motor Registration Centres open on Saturdays
Saldanha Bay Municipality's Driving Licence and Motor Registration Centres in Vredenburg will be open on Saturdays, on a fortnight basis from February 2015 to June 2015.
For more information, please contact Mr Gordon Swarts on 022 701 6926/6927 for driving licences, or Ms Dalene Williams on 022 701 7029 for motor registrations.
|Dates open||Operational hours|
|Saturday, 6 June 2015||08h00 - 13h30|
|Saturday, 20 June 2015||08h00 - 13h30|
Supply Chain Management Notice
Application for Registration on Database
|Paragraph 14(1)(a) of the Municipal Supply Chain Management Policy states that the municipality must keep a list of accredited prospective providers of goods and services that must be used for the procurement requirements.|
Saldanha Bay Municipality has decided to accept an invitation from Provincial Treasury to join the Western Cape Supplier Database (WCSD) with the view of using one centralized database. This decision was taken based on the advantages it holds for our suppliers as well as our organization’s procurement processes. All prospective providers of municipal goods and/or services are hereby requested to register their business with the WCSD.
The usage of the WCSD will come into effect from 01 July 2015. REGISTRATION WILL BE COMPULSORY IN ORDER TO CONDUCT BUSINESS WITH SALDANHA BAY MUNICIPALITY. Registration on the WCSD is at no cost for a supplier. Please click here for application forms and relevant documents which is needed for registration.
The database will be used to verify the accreditation of a supplier before an award can be made.
All prospective suppliers should be aware of the amended codes of good practice under section 9 (1) of the Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment Act as issued by the Minister of Trade and Industry (Gazette No.36928) on 11 October 2013. Enquiries can be made to Mr C de Bruyn and Mr B Louw at 022-701 6940.
The South African Revenue Services (SARS) will visit the Saldanha Bay Municipal area on the followings days:
|02 June 2015||09h00 - 16h00||Skilpad Hall, Vredenburg|
|03 June 2015||09h00 - 13h00||Skilpad Hall, Vredenburg|
|17 June 2015||09h00 - 16h00||Diazville Hall, Saldanha|
|18 June 2015||09h00 - 13h00||Diazville Hall, Saldanha|
Registration on Municipal SMS Database
Register your cellphone number or update your personal details on the municipal SMS database to receive messages related to emergency situations (floods, fires, power outages and pipe bursts), notices and announcements in te Saldanha Bay Municipal Area.
Submit your SMS database registration form to any Saldanha Bay Municipal office. You can also fax your form to